Planning & Zoning
If you're thinking about opening a business, constructing a new building or remodeling an existing structure, drop by and discuss your plans with the Zoning Administrator first. The Town's Zoning Ordinance, Comprehensive Plan and Subdivision Ordinance set forth land use and development policies, procedures and permit requirements. The Zoning Administrator will show you which ones apply to your business or building project and will help you complete any applications that may be required.
Building & Remodeling
The Town has entered into an agreement with Middlesex County to enforce the terms of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code for building and remodeling projects in Urbanna. Contact the Middlesex County Building Department at the Saluda Courthouse Complex to obtain an application for a building permit and to schedule inspections.
The Town of Urbanna has 5 zoning districts, which are shown on the town's zoning map. Each zoning district has its own:
- Uses and structures permitted as of right
- Uses permitted only with a Special Use Permit
- Uses permitted only with Conditional Zoning
- Lot size and setback standards
- Special regulations for particular uses or types of structures
The Town also has three Overlay Districts with rules that apply to properties located within them in addition to the regulations for the underlying zoning district.
- The Chesapeake Bay Preservation Overlay District regulations protect and enhance water quality through environmentally responsible land use management and practices
- The Historic Preservation Overlay District regulations protect the town's character, historic areas, buildings and monuments
- Flood Plain Area regulations apply to lands that are in the 100-year flood plain
Office: (804) 758-2613
Fax: (804) 758-0389
Monday ~ Friday
8am ~ 4:30pm